Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Something To Do: Making of a short film Part 2




The kids are on spring break, and I love it! The stress of getting three kids to school on time is unbearable, (i know there are many more horrible things going on in the world) , but it's freakin maddening! But on this spring break, the Flemings are making a movie! So getting up early has a different feeling to it. It's like we're on a cool vacation, but we haven't left. (By the way, Santa Barbara is beautiful this time of year. Come visit!) Today was the second official day of shooting Something To Do, and all the actors had the day off. Sort of odd, but also kind of cool. Not to say that nothing got done, cause stuff got done! Kate and our DP, Sheba Lane did a lot of location filming. Me? I took Logan out to lunch, bought a gun at Big 5 and got a location settled for one of our final shots next week.

Let me take this time to tell you what Something To Do is about. It's the story about a guy trying to figure out what he's supposed to be doing in life. We're all meant for something right? ...right? We are. What if you don't know what it is? You search. It's a comedy. Not a "family comedy". Don't let the kids fool you. I love The Big Lebowski and Anchorman, not Are We There Yet!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip6GolC7Mk0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHuyjYJCCOA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL-sWs-T97s

know what I mean.
back to today.

...So the gun I bought was a BB gun that I needed for a prop. It looks real, and I was kind of nervous buying the thing. Tristan, my six years old son, kept asking me why we were buying a gun in front of the guy working at the store. I'm pretty sure the guy behind the counter thought I'd be robbing a bank before days end. For some reason, I felt compelled to make up a story of buying this piece for my nephew, and wanted to know about the return policy just in case he didn't like it. Earlier in the day I secured a location for one of our last shots. Later Kate, Sheba and I met up at "the house". (I'll go into this location later.) Kate figured out her shots for Saturday, our biggest day of shooting.

I finally got to do some actor stuff and worked on the script. acting the stuff you helped write is a little odd. But because it came from you, it helps you connect. It's hard to go from producer to actor. It's hard because you have to allow the artist in you to get away from the organizer in you. The day goes by so fast when you're putting a thousand things in motion. The challenge has been ...well a challenge, but totally fun. See, I told you we got things done!

Tomorrow is all about the kids. The sub plot we have them involved in is so fun. Think The Goonies, but without the Spielberg budget. I won't give anything away, but lets just say they aren't about to let anything happen to their Dad.

...tomorrow. the kids arm up!

No comments: